Understanding the Facts on Fires
We are "here to help" handle your home or business's fire damage restoration needs!
The unpredictable nature of fires can lead to so much devastation and loss for your home or business.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are around 346,800 house fires per year causing on average 2,620 fatalities.
Understanding the facts when it comes to fires can help you to better prepare your family and employees in case of disaster.
General Fire Facts & Stats
- Cooking is the leading cause of house fires, followed by:
- Electrical Systems & Equipment
- In 2020, fire and lightning insurance claims had the highest average payout of $77,340.
- On average, across the US, a fire department responded to a fire every 23 seconds in 2021.
- In 2021, there were 1,353,500 fires reported, including residential and non-residential structures.
- In 2020, per 1,000 fires, the national average was 2 deaths and 8 injuries.
Ohio Fire Facts & Stats
- Ohio has the 7th most fatal home fires per capita in relation to the other 50 states, with Texas being the first.
- Smoking is the top cause of fire deaths in the state of Ohio, making up 20% of fatalities.
It's difficult and scary to imagine your home or business experiencing a fire. It can be hard to determine where to start when a disaster like this occurs.
If your home or business falls victim to a fire, SERVPRO of Toledo West is "here to help." Our experienced technicians handle the care and restoration of your property and its contents. We handle the cleanup and the reconstruction, so you don't have to worry about juggling multiple companies.
If you find yourself in need of fire damage restoration, give us a call today!
Understanding the Facts on Water Damage
We are "here to help" handle your home or business's water damage restoration needs!
It's no secret that April showers are the start of Ohio's rainy season. Despite the name, April is only the 4th rainiest month in Ohio, with May, June, and the rainiest, July rounding out the top three.
As we work our way through the wet season, it's important to understand the facts of water and storm damage.
National Water Damage Facts & Stats
- 14,000 people in the US are affected by water damage every day.
- The average insurance claim to repair a water damaged home is $11,605.
- 99% of US counties experienced a flood from 1996-2019.
- 98% of US homes will experience water damage in their basements at least once.
- Even the smallest leak can increase the average water bill by 10%.
- In 2020, almost 20% of home insurance claims were due to water damage and freezing.
Ohio Water Damage Facts & Stats
- In Ohio, 540,863 properties have more than a 26% chance of being affected by severe flooding in the next 30 years.
- In 2021, at least 142 people died in flooding incidents, 64 of which were driving.
Water damage, whether it be from flooding or a storm, can be a difficult process to deal with. Luckily, SERVPRO of Toledo West is equipped to handle all of your water damage restoration needs! From the drying process to reconstruction, we work with all insurances to get your home or business looking "like it never even happened."
3-D Emergency Ready Profile Saves Time and Money When Disaster Strikes
Our 3-D Emergency Ready Profile will help you when disaster strikes!
The Best Way to Reduce Business Interruption Following a Disaster in Toledo is to Plan For it NOW.
Almost 50% of businesses will not recover following a disaster, according to the latest industry research. Of the businesses that do survive, the majority had a preparedness plan in place before disaster struck.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile, ERP, for your business, you interruptions, and you can get back to business quicker.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile is an approach that provides important information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services. This profile is designed to serve as a reference to important building and contact information. Taking advantage of the Emergency Ready Profile helps your business receive the benefits of over 40 years of experience in handling disasters, whether they be natural or man-made. SERVPRO is a leader in water and fire damage mitigation and restoration and can help fix any disaster as quickly as possible.
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile Advantage
This is a no cost assessment that includes:
A Profile Document: This concise file only contains the critical information needed if emergency strikes. This takes a short amount of time to complete, and saves a lot of time if ever needed.
A Guide to help you get back into your building following disaster: This helps to minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by establishing an immediate plan.
Establishes SERVPRO of Toledo West as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider: A close by, industry leader.
Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin: This saves time so we can begin our mitigation work right away, which saves you money.
Our 3-D Modeling for facility details: This includes things like, shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information. This provides us with a quick reference of what to do, how to do it, and who to contact.
Step By Step: What We Do to Remove Water From Your Home
Our top-of-the-line technology helps us detect and eradicate moisture!
Quick Water Removal Can Reduce Damages
SERVPRO of Toledo West prides itself on being “faster to any size disaster.” When a pipe bursts, a tub overflows, or a drain backs up, your home needs to have excess water removed as quickly as possible.
When handling water disasters, the first step upon our arrival is to pump out any water that is visible. This helps us gain a better visual to more easily assess the extent of the damage.
Larger amounts of porous materials require a more aggressive drying method in order to avoid mold growth. Our years of experience will benefit homeowners suffering from any kind of water damage.
Water removal begins the process, then we move toward removing the moisture that has evaporated into the air. This moisture can travel into any part of the home, and can cause problems down the line if not detected and removed. Dehumidifiers, heaters, air movers, and even open windows work best when used together. Moisture meters provide us with a beginning reading to compare to later readings throughout your home, showing progress of the drying process.
During drying, other problems can arise, such as unusual odors. Water can disturb and release odors particles from materials in your home. We can rectify this problem with odor control methods. Over-stretched carpets can also occur, which we also fix.
We take great care to ensure that any type of flooring is dry in flooding situations. This prevents warping of wooden floors and sub-flooring.
In situations that have left your home partially submerged, call us. We are available 24/7/365 to handle your water damage needs.
Why Your Business Needs Professional Commercial Restoration Cleaning
Why is Professional Commercial Restoration Cleaning So Important?
Professional commercial restoration cleaning is one of the most important services owners can utilize on their commercial properties. Most commercial properties get a lot of wear and tear, especially multifamily housing units and office complexes. Here is why it is so important for you to get your commercial property professionally cleaned.
Why You will Need a Professional Commercial Restoration Cleaning Service
A lot can go wrong with a commercial structure, especially the older they are. Commercial buildings can experience damages from mold, water, fire, or sewage backup. It’s hard to imagine disaster striking your commercial business, but it can happen to anyone. As time progresses, your chances of experiencing some sort of disaster only increase.
Fires are spontaneous, and may not even be caused by your own building. Just because you do everything right to prevent fires, doesn’t mean the neighboring building does as well.
Whether it be a flood, fire, mold growth, or any other kind of disaster, keep SERVPRO of Toledo West in mind for your professional commercial restoration services.
Preparation is Key: How to Effectively Prepare for Storm Season
Every year, thunderstorms alone cause about $15 billion in property damage. As we approach hurricane and storm season, make note of these tips to protect your property.
- Make an emergency kit with the following items that you probably already own: flashlight, battery powered weather radio, extra batteries to fit each electronic, non-perishable foods, lots of bottled water, can opener, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, blankets, extra clothes, sturdy shoes or boots, clock or watch, whistle to signal for help, and any important personal items or documents.
- Know the safest place to go in your home if a storm gets severe. This may be a basement, underground cellar, or even the most inner part of your home away from windows.
- Get regular roof and foundation maintenance. Cracks in a roof are the number one leading cause to flooding damage.
- Cut down unwanted or dead trees or limbs. Get your trees trimmed before storm season begins. Tree debris can damage siding, windows, and roofs.
- Familiarize yourself with your insurance policy. Most home insurers do not cover flooding.
- Keep all expensive and favored possessions off the floor and away from low ground in case of flooding. Invest in a water/fire proof container to keep important documents in.
- Keep all patio furniture, grills, etc. in doors before a summer storm hits. Do not forget to park your vehicles in the garage.
- Finally, take those summer storm warnings and alerts seriously, especially tornado warnings. Tornadoes can lead to total property loss and even death.
Flooded Business? Let Us Help with Your Hassle
When flooding strikes your business, let our pros handle the mess!
Flooding is an absolute catastrophe for business owners. It’s not just sopping up water, its handling wet furniture, drapery, electronics, doors, trim, and other structural elements that have water damage. Your first thought may be to get rid of everything and start new, but some of your assets are salvageable. That’s where our pros at SERVPRO of Toledo West come in.
Dry and Sort
If your flood was caused by a broken pipe, you can have a small sigh of relief knowing you don’t have to deal with black water. Despite that, you may still have the possibility of mold spread, so it is important to thoroughly dry out anything affected by the water. Once everything has been dried out, you’ll next want to inspect and sort everything to determine what can be saved and what can’t. Items that may need to be thrown out include porous materials that can’t be properly dried or cleaned and fabrics that show signs of discoloration.
Clean the Damage
Having your investments sorted following a flood will give you a better understanding of the actual damages and loss your business has faced. When it comes to cleaning items yourself, remember that dry cleaning is not just for clothes. Furniture, upholstery, and draperies can be made good as new through dry cleaning services. For everything else, consider the following tips to make for an easier process:
- Organize items based on cleaning methods, such as hand or machine wash
- Use a disinfectant on furniture, walls, and floors to prevent mold growth
- Wash items in the hottest water possible to remove contaminants
- Use a professional water damage restoration service to ensure there is no interior damage
A flooded company is a hassle, but it does not have to leave a long-term impact on your business. If you experience water damage, call our professionals to help you sort it out!
Contact us today! 419-757-8643
SERVPRO of Toledo West is the One-Stop-Shop for Your Disaster Needs
When choosing someone to handle the mitigation and restoration needs of your business, the best choice is SERVPRO of Toledo West. You can rest assured that your property is going to be efficiently and professionally restored as if your disaster never happened.
What Does SERVPRO Do?
Basically, we do everything related to disaster mitigation. If your business suffers from water damage, mold damage, storm damage, fire damage, or most any other kind of damage, SERVPRO of Toledo West is the one-stop-shop to have everything repaired quickly, without compromise.
SERVPRO of Toledo West will take care of you every step of the way when it comes repairing your home or business. Being locally owned and operated, we care about the wellbeing of families and businesses here. We help handle your disaster every step of the way, getting you back to what you do best.
What do I Need to do After a Disaster?
Just call us! We’ll help you every step of the way. 419-757-8643
Safety First: How to Avoid Injury and Damages During a Storm
If storm damage gets you down, let us help pick you back up!
As storm season approaches, it is important to recognize the risk of personal and property damage. Here are a few steps to take to keep yourself safe during a storm:
- Go indoors and stay there. This can be inside of your own home, in a neighbors, or a friends. If you are outdoors somewhere without houses, like a park or the lake, try and find a public restroom. These are often storm proof. If there is no other options, the best thing to do is wait in your car until the storm passes.
- Move to somewhere away from windows. Almost every home has a basement, which is the safest place to wait out storms. If your home doesn’t have a basement, bathrooms are a good choice, too.
- Try to stay away from appliances. Avoid activities such as showering or talking on a wired phone. Lightning is able to travel through plumbing or wiring, so avoid using washers and dryers as well. If there is a lightning strike, it could cause appliances to short and catch fire.
- After the storm has passed, remember to be careful walking around, watch out for things such as downed power lines and possibly damaged circuit breakers. If you smell gas, contact authorities immediately.
Following these steps may not be ideal, but the safety of yourself, your family, and your home should not be compromised. If you find that a storm has caused damage, feel free to call SERVPRO of Toledo West today and let the experts take care of it!
Support Local Business by Supporting SERVPRO of Toledo West
Choose local, choose SERVPRO of Toledo West!
Recently, there has been a strong notion to shop and support local businesses. From mom and pop shops, farmers markets, or even disaster restoration services, it is important to support your local community and its economy. That’s why SERVPRO of Toledo West is proud to be locally owned and operated. When you support SERVPRO of Toledo West, you’re supporting local businesses near you in Toledo. But why is serving local businesses so important? Well, here are three big reasons!
- Boosting the local economy
Supporting local business allows the business to grow. This allows that business to hire new employees. It’s likely that they’ll hire people that live nearby, keeping the money within the community.
- Building Community Connections
When you support a local business, that business can become a community staple. It becomes a place where people can meet new people or meet up with old connections. An identity can be formed around a local business, where you know the owners or employees, and you build a relationship and trust with them.
- Environmental Preservation
Did you know that supporting local businesses helps support the environment? Local businesses tend to also buy from local merchants, instead of from huge facilities and factories far away, and this decreases carbon emissions.
So, when you have any kind of water damage, fire damage, flooding, or need clean up in the Toledo areas, you can support local by supporting SERVPRO of Toledo West!